Equipment Checkout Policies
- To check out any piece of equipment you must present your current WisCard.
- At checkout, you agree, by accepting the equipment, to the following policies and that you have received all items included with the equipment and that the included pieces are in working condition.
- Problems with, damage to, loss or theft of the hardware loaned to you must be reported immediately. Failure to do so will result in repair and/or replacement fees. Any damage to, loss or theft of loaned equipment during the loan period is the sole responsibility of the borrower as well as subsequent repair or replacement costs up to the original value of the item(s).
- Patrons are limited to one checkout of each item type (laptop, camera, tablet, video camera) at a time.
- Equipment cannot be renewed. However, if another identical item is available at the time of your return, you may immediately check it out.
- Any damage to or loss of loaned equipment during the borrowing period is the sole responsibility of the borrower. For this reason, a patron should not borrow equipment for use by any other student or individual. Damage costs assessed to a patron must be paid before new equipment can be borrowed from any ECS location. Users found to have damaged equipment will be blocked from borrowing more equipment until such time as the damage fees have been assessed and paid in full.
- All borrowers are limited to twenty (20) laptop checkouts per semester (including summer semester). This quota applies only to laptops and not other types of equipment available through the Equipment Checkout System (ECS). You can check your remaining laptop quota from the 'My Account' tab on UW InfoLabs Equipment Checkout System.
- Borrowers must not check out equipment for use by any other student or individual. Doing so will result in permanent revocation of borrowing privileges.
- The due date for items can be checked online at the UW InfoLabs Equipment Checkout System under the 'My Account' tab.
- Equipment must be returned to the same location from which it was checked out. Items dropped off at locations other than the original borrowing location, are not considered returned and will accrue late fines until they are retrieved by the borrower and returned to the correct location.
- All items must be returned at least one hour before closing on the day that the item is due. For locations that are open past midnight on the day an item is due, items must be returned before 11:00 pm. A link to the checkout location hours is included in the e-mail receipt. It is the sole responsibility of the borrower to verify that the location is open when planning to return the item.
- $20 per day will be charged for every day or portion of every day that the item is overdue that the facility is open.
- Fines for overdue items begin to accrue immediately after the checkout location closes (or at midnight if the location is open past midnight) on the day that the item is due.
- If there is a fine on a person's record, that person will not be able to check out any ECS item from any location until all fines are paid in full.
- Unpaid fines stay in the system indefinitely.
- Fines must be paid on-line and can only be paid with a credit or debit card, not with cash or check. No exceptions.
- On the fifth day that an item is overdue, staff will escalate efforts to recover the item, including contacting the Dean of Students and/or UW Police Department. If these actions are necessary to secure the return of an overdue item, the borrower will be banned from future use of the ECS. No exceptions!
- Questions regarding a fine on your account should be directed to an ECS representative at the lending location where the fine was generated. Location representatives can be contacted by entering your ID number at the My Account portal through the Equipment Checkout System website and selecting "Contact the manager regarding this fine" next to your fine.